Output license question

Topics about Monster Mash tool that did not fit in any other forum.
Momchilo

Output license question

Post by Momchilo » Thu May 20, 2021 1:54 am

Hello, can someone tell me what's the license on the outputted models?

On the website it says "The source code for this demo is available under the Apache-2.0 license. The demo is free to use for evaluation and research purposes."

Does that mean we can't use it to make models for commercial games or other commercial projects?

sykorad

Re: Output license question

Post by sykorad » Sat May 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Momchilo!

Thank you for your question! The reason why we're saying "The demo is free to use for evaluation and research purposes." is that in the demo we use Triangle library https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html which is not part of the source code on GitHub (it has a different license). The author of Triangle library says on the project page: "Please note that although Triangle is freely available, it is copyrighted by the author and may not be sold or included in commercial products without a license." We use Triangle library since we do not treat Monster Mash demo as a commercial product. However, what is not fully clear whether the content created by a non-commercial software that has Triangle library incorporated can be used for commercial purposes. We're not experts on legal questions so you may consult your attorney or ask the author of Triangle library directly about this matter. In future we plan to replace Triangle with a different meshing library (likely TriWild) which will be under a permissive license.

Hope this answer helps!

jessicaartemisia

Post by jessicaartemisia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 pm

Hi there, I have reached out to the Triangle library IP owner (I believe) to find out about using products made using MonsterMash. If I get the green-light from him, am I free to use my products on MonsterMash for commercial purposes? It sounds like the creators of MM are ok with that but blanket approval for all commercial usage isn't allowed by Triangle. Is that right?

sykorad

Post by sykorad » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:16 pm

Exaactly, Triangle library is the only component which can be sensitive w.r.t. the commercial use.

vibola21

Post by vibola21 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:11 pm

jessicaartemisia wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 pm Hi there, I have reached out to the Triangle library IP owner (I believe) to find out about using products made using MonsterMash. If I get the green-light from him, am I free to use my products on MonsterMash for commercial purposes? It sounds like the creators of MM are ok with that but blanket approval for all commercial usage isn't allowed by Triangle. Is that right?
HI Jessica, did you ever get a reply from the Triangle Library IP owner? I'm also interested to find out about the output license

vibola21

Post by vibola21 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:03 pm

sykorad wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:55 pm Hi Momchilo!

Thank you for your question! The reason why we're saying "The demo is free to use for evaluation and research purposes." is that in the demo we use Triangle library https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html which is not part of the source code on GitHub (it has a different license). The author of Triangle library says on the project page: "Please note that although Triangle is freely available, it is copyrighted by the author and may not be sold or included in commercial products without a license." We use Triangle library since we do not treat Monster Mash demo as a commercial product. However, what is not fully clear whether the content created by a non-commercial software that has Triangle library incorporated can be used for commercial purposes. We're not experts on legal questions so you may consult your attorney or ask the author of Triangle library directly about this matter. In future we plan to replace Triangle with a different meshing library (likely TriWild) which will be under a permissive license.

Hope this answer helps!
HI sykorad, is there any update if the desire to move to a different library still up? Thank you in advance

DerSammy

Post by DerSammy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:20 pm

Hey Guys,
so I already read the answers but they were over 7 month ago now
and there is not really a Yes or No. If you have any more answers,
I would like to hear about them. Thanks